The city of Gardendale, Alabama began as a large settlement in 1825 when farmers developed the land to be used for expansive farms. The introduction of coal mines in the area caused the population to spike in the 1870s, and by the early 1900s the town was alive and fully operational. The name was adopted by the community in 1906, and the city was incorporated in 1955. Today Gardendale is a suburb of Birmingham, and lies within the borders of Jefferson County. As of 2013 the population was 13,735, a little below what it was at the time of the 2010 census.

The city government operates under a mayor-council establishment, in which the mayor presides as chief executive officer over five city council members. Together the mayor and city council work to create and enforce laws, and uphold a high standard for the community services of Gardendale. According to the city’s official website, the commerce and economic development of Gardendale has “focused on positive growth, strengthening the economic and social well-being of the residents and businesses in the community.”

Residents of Gardendale are very proud of their communities and work hard to keep them healthy and attractive to visitors and locals alike. The Beautification Commission is an active group with a goal to make the surrounding communities even more appealing by developing memorials and maintaining parks and other recreational areas. There are more than 25 churches surrounding the city center, including the Central Baptist Church, the Gardendale Church of Christ, the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the ChristWay Church of God and the Gardendale Presbyterian Church.

The Gardendale Municipal Court serves as the city’s main courthouse, and is located at 1309 Decatur Hwy. The Jefferson County Courthouse is located a short 20 minute drive south in Birmingham, at 716 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. N.